Friday 16 May 2014

Falcao: I want Atletico to win the Champions League

The Monaco striker is willing his former team-mates to triumph in Lisbon and is hopeful of recovering from injury in time to play for Colombia in the World Cup

By Alberto Pinero

Radamel Falcao hopes Atletico Madrid win the Champions League later this month - even if that means upsetting his friend Cristiano Ronaldo.

Falcao, who left Atletico after two seasons in Spain to join Monaco last summer, is sidelined after suffering a serious knee injury in January, but will be an interested spectator as the Rojiblancos meet Real Madrid in the European showpiece in Lisbon on May 24.

"The two teams are even and have the same chances of winning the final," the Colombian told Goal at a launch event for the new PUMA Tricks boot. "It will be a great game. There was already a derby last year in the Copa del Rey final and Atletico won.

"That shows that finals are different. I would like Atletico to win, of course. I have a great fondness for the club, for everything I experienced there, for my team-mates – and I will be supporting them.

"Cristiano knows what Atletico means to me. But I haven’t spoken about the final with him."

Despite his injury, Falcao was named in Colombia's provisional squad for the World Cup by coach Jose Pekerman and says he is hopeful of being fit in time to play a part in the competition next month.

"I feel really good," he said. "I’m progressing very quickly – and I’m really happy about that. In the next few weeks we’ll see what shape I’m in and we’ll make a definitive decision on whether it’s convenient or not for me to go to the World Cup.

"The World Cup is my engine and what keeps me going every day in my recovery. It has been one of my objectives this whole time.

"With the coach we have spoken about everything, but he has been very prudent as well in order to avoid putting me under pressure. He has said all along that the most important thing is the player’s health. Everything else comes after that.

"They are situations he knows how to control and he will make the decision when the moment arrives. It will all depend on how I am physically."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Post