Friday 1 November 2013

ASUU Strike: Vocational Centres To The Rescue

 The lingering ASUU strike has been a horrible experience for some students but some have also used the opportunity to learn a trade and make some money for themselves as they await the federal government and lecturers to reach a compromise. SAMUEL ABULUDE and ARONKE OLAYIWOLA write
As the ASUU strike bites harder, Oche Aladi Mercy, an undergraduate of Biological Sciences from the Benue State University, Makurdi, has taken to hair making and has gathered a fortune of about N30,000 (Thirty thousand Naira) from it.
The 100 level student said that the ASUU strike was lingering and she had to keep herself busy since an idle mind is the devil’s workshop.
She says, “Since I wasn’t doing anything due to the strike, I learnt how to  make hair. So, I make hair for people at my residence and at times, I also work at a salon. I’ll keep the money I make until the strike is called off and  use part of it to sustain myself.”
Now Oche is happier that the hair making skill she learnt is paying off and has opened up opportunities for her.
“I will say it is not really a blessing in disguise because I want to go back to school but at least it has made me have a handiwork so that when I go back to school, I will continue making hair for people so as to enable me have extra income”, Oche Aladi said.
Brian Okafor, an undergraduate of University of Benin has also learnt cake baking and working in a school. The Economics and Statistics student instead of staying at home, decided to keep himself busy.
He said, “I joined a catering school where I learnt how to bake and I also worked as an accountant assistant in the school where I also learned how to manage financial responsibilities. I couldn’t stay without doing anything. So, I decided to add value to my life and see how life after school could be. It is a training programme and I’m not paid but just to add to my knowledge and step up my game. But as for the accountant job, I make enough for my transport back home like N500 daily. For me, It is better than staying at home and watching TV.”
Brian lashed out on the authorities since he is supposed to be in the final year.
“I’m in my 300 Level but I would have been in my final year now. The ASUU strike is never a blessing in disguise because it has led many youths to some social vices and other unwholesome activities but it all depends on individuals. I choose to make the best out of every opportunity given to me by God. It is not a blessing but an opportunity in disguise for me. Actually, the ASUU strike is a disaster and I must say it shows a lack of responsibility from our leaders and those who don’t see us as the leaders of tomorrow and should have shown good examples”, he said.
 Ilerioluwa Olayiwola who is awaiting admission into the Obafemi Awolowo University in her own case, seems a bit more perplexed. She had just concluded her first year at the university when she decided to change her course and rewrite her UTME which she passed excellently. She however braced herself to lose a year as a sacrifice to the change of course. Unfortunately, the one year has been extended by some unknown number of months as the ASUU strike rolls on indefinitely. She however says, no time is wasted as she has been spending her time judiciously.
 “I have been working as the Customer Relations Officer(CRO) for one of the renowned cake making companies in Lagos, where I am also getting my cake making skills. I actually went to Fifi’s Oven to ask to be trained but the owner told me she does not have the time to train but was looking for a CRO and this could afford me the opportunity to learn on the job. It was a juicy offer as I was offered some monthly salary alongside. Apart from polishing my skills, I also get to make money”.
 For Gbemisola Sowande, it’s a more introspective and solemn experience as she has been spending the time establishing a deeper connection with her creator. While still awaiting resumption into the 100 Level at the university, she has been attending the Word of Faith Bible Institute (WOFBI) as well as learning how to make dresses.
 “The sewing school I am attending is borne out of my passion for fashion and quality dressing while attending WOFBI is to reinforce my connection with God and to develop my spiritual capacity. I believe the ASUU strike is a blessing in disguise as I have realised that what I am learning at WOFBI is basic for a solid foundation to withstand the charm of the university life”.
 Our correspondent gathered that some religious organisations used the opportunity of the lingering strike to hold skill acquisition programmes for members and interested students. St Michael’s Catholic Church located in Ketu, a suburb of Lagos, consulted some professionals to train students and undergraduates in bead, cake and  soap making.
 Speaking with a lawyer, Mr Joba Oloba, who has just returned to the country after his post-graduate study in the United Kingdom, he said the students should not be deterred by the strike, but should use the opportunity strike to seek out their passion and polish their skills as those times of strike during his undergraduate studies in Nigeria were the times he learnt a lot about his passion and developed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Post